#146: Living Ready to Leave with Kelly Sites
Kelly Sites is a wife and mom to 19-year-old twins who she homeschooled all the way through high school. She has been a registered nurse for 20 years and has worked as an international disaster response nurse with Samaritan's Purse since 2010. She has deployed over 13 times to disasters around the world, including the Cholera outbreak in Haiti, tsunamis, earthquakes, and hurricanes. She deployed twice to Liberia to care for Ebola patients, Iraq twice to work in a mobile field hospital outside of Mosul where they cared for trauma patients including ISIS soldiers. Most recently she was in Bangladesh for a diphtheria outbreak in a refugee camp filled with close to a million Rohingya refugees.
What we chat about:
- advice for moms of twins
- how and why Kelly decided to become an international disaster response nurse
- how her work schedule has taught her to be more intentional with her time
- recognizing if the cost of your career on your family is too high
- how being in disaster areas abroad has changed her perspective on "need" at home
- how her experiences have helped shape her family
- what it looks like to be a disaster response nurse
- adjusting to everyday life after experiencing trauma
- responding to criticism that she's away too often
Resources on suffering:
A Path Through Suffering by Elisabeth Elliot
The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard by Kara Tippetts
Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering by Tim Keller
A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty by Joni Eareckson Tada
How God Can Allow So Much Evil and Suffering from Focus on the Family
The Truth about Suffering and the Believer (video sermon)
Canvas People: get an 11x14 canva for free + shipping & handling with code MSW
Daily Harvest: use promo code MSW and get 3 free cups with your first order
Nutrafol: subscribe using the promo code MSW to get your first month for $10
Tommy John: use the link and get 20% off your first order
Ways to support the show:
Share the Struggle!
Find me on Instagram because I want to hear YOUR thoughts! If you've been encouraged, share the episode with another mom. The struggle is real. We might as well do this together!
***Some links above take you to Amazon. When you click through, anything you purchase there will help offset the costs associated with producing the show. It doesn't cost you any extra, and it helps me out. Everybody wins! Thank you for your support!